Playing with Texture


I like being prepared and one way I do it is to create 4" x 4" masonite boards with different textures. I do these when I have a break in time and I am not working on a specific project. These are texture ideas for future pieces of art.

SUPPLIES
masonite boards
Delight (or Paperclay)
found objects
texture rollers




I used a textured roller to achieve this alligator skin look. When the Delight was hardened, I applied a metallic bronze paint to the surface. When that had dried, I rubbed a green metallic rub. I felt in love with this sample.






When through my kitchen drawers and found this silicone hot pad that I thought would make a great texture.
I started by stamping the Delight with a stain of light brown then did a wash of silver when the brown had dried.







A scrap of lace also made a great texture on the Delight. This had a wash of red oxide paint on it.










I used a volcanic rock from my yard to get this real natural moonscape type texture on the Delight. When it hardened I painted it grey then did a wash of bronze. I dripped alcohol on it while it was wet.








Years ago I picked up some laser cut plexiglas that I use with spray paint and decided to try it with the Delight. I applied red oxide paint then did a blue metallic rub when it had dried.







Reticulated metal also makes a great for Delight or Paperclay. Multiple washes were applied.

So get out your textures and have fun.

Dream in Color and have fun!

Darlene Olivia McElroy


Comments

Julia Walsh said…
Cool experiments giving fun textures.

Popular Posts