was working on this assemblage for a show and I was stuck until I
started using Creative Paperclay® on another project and I realized it
was just what I needed for this piece.
I started with balls of clay, making them all about the same size.
laid embossed paper over the clay balls and brayered them flat. The
pattern looked great on them. These became the pedals of the skirt.
applied the embossed disks to the assemblage to make a skirt and shaped
some clay to look like flames. I let the clay dry thoroughly. The skirt
was painted with a burnt umber paint and cinnamon was sprinkled on the
paint while it was still wet. It gave it a faux rust look. I then
painted the little flames with orange and yellow paint.