Dimensional Collage with Creative Paperclay®

 

I love adding a bit dimensional pop to my collage paintings and what better to it with than Creative Paperclay®. Because of the diversity of uses for the clay, I can can get different looks depending on whether I am using a slurry, stamp into the clay or shape it with a silicone mold. 

With so many old paintings laying around, I have access to paintings that I can update with techniques I may not have known when I originally created them.

SUPPLIES

Creative Paperclay®
Acrylic paint including gold
Alphabet & floral stamps
Silicone mold
Substrate (old painting used here)



You can make a slurry from all the small dried up pieces of Creative Paperclay®. I prefer to grind it into very fine pieces then add some color and a touch of acrylic medium. It makes a texture with a fine grit.
I added the slurry to an old painting of mine. One edge was taped so I could get a straight line when the tape was pulled off. Lines were added with the edge of my ruler.
The slurry color was changed to have more of a blue tint and stamped. When it dried, an umber wash was applied to the slurry. Because it was a wash the color stayed in the stamped areas more.
The top bar of clay has been stamped into with alphabet stamps, allowed to dry then sealed with polymer medium.









When the medium has dried, paint with a burnt umber paint, let dry and then rub gold paint on it with your finger so it just picks up the high areas.
Clay was applied to a silicone mold then allowed to dry thoroughly before removing it. The same technique above is used to color this and add the gold highlights.

And the painting continues.

Dream in Color!

Darlene Olivia McElroy

darleneoliviamcelroy.com


Comments

Popular Posts